This Beef and Vegetable Stew is originally inspired by Recipe #198 in The Complete Keto Diet Cookbook For Beginners: 1000 Quick & Easy Recipes For Busy People On The Ketogenic Diet With 21-Day Meal Plan by Lillian Cook. I received this cookbook in a collaboration with Cooking Hacks Daily on Instagram. My blog post features a close rendition to Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew recipe, and it will be the first recipe that I am making from the Keto cookbook.
**Disclosure: this post may contain affiliated links. I am an Amazon Affiliate, this means that I may earn a commission from these products if you buy them using these links at no additional cost to you. Read full disclosure here.
My first couple recipes will be
- Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew
- Autumn Butternut Squash Stew
- Restaurant Style Onion Rings
My Take on This Cookbook
The Complete Keto Diet Cookbook For Beginners: 1000 Quick & Easy Recipes For Busy People On The Ketogenic Diet With 21-Day Meal Plan by Lillian Cook is quite interesting in that there really are 1,000 recipes, a 21-day Meal Plan and the recipes are all very quick. Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew should only take about 45 minutes.
The most interesting feature is that these recipes are quickly condensed in the pages of the cookbook. There are typically 6 recipes on each page. There is no wasted space, no images of the recipes, and there are quick nutrition facts regarding macronutrients and calorie in-take per serving. There are 10 grams of carbs per serving in each recipe, or fewer.
The 21-Day Meal Plan is laid out as a guideline and rather than list the page numbers associated with the recipes listed in the meal plan, the recipes are given their numbers for you to look up later. I have spent time sifting through the recipes and I am optimistic about my future experience with this cookbook.
Each recipe that I feature in this 1,000 Keto Recipes Cookbook series will be 1) the recipe , 2) include the total cost for me to make the recipe, 3) only the affordable recipes will be featured in the blog, and 4) my notes for any amendments that I made to the recipe.
Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe
* Means you should check my notes section!
- 1 oz bacon, diced (1 strip of bacon, raw)*
- 1 cup of herbed pasta sauce, no sugar added*
- 3/4 lb. well-marbled beef chuck, boneless, and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces*
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, deveined and chopped
- 1 tbsp of Swerve
- In a Dutch oven,* cook the bacon over medium-high heat, set aside
- With the bacon grease, brown the beef pieces for 4 minutes, or until browned, set aside
- Sauté the parsnip and bell peppers for about 4 minutes, or until softened. Add salt, pepper, garlic to taste.
- Add the herb pasta* and the beef
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until everything is thoroughly cooked and tender.
- Garnish with the chopped bacon
Notes Hearty Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 1 oz of bacon turned into .3 oz of bacon after it had been cooked. It was enough for garnishing on 1 bowl, but I recommend that you use 2-3 strips of bacon.
- I don’t have the ability to use my Dutch oven pan on my stove, you can’t use them on glass stovetops, it will crack the stovetop.
- I used 1 cans of tomatoes and 1/4 of tomato sauce to substitute for herb pasta sauce. You can find a can of pasta sauce, which is also just like marinara sauce, in the pasta sauce and noodle aisle at the grocery store.
- The recipe did not call for seasoning the meat so it tasted rather plain to me. Salt and pepper the meat and cut into chunks that are smaller than beef stew sized meat. It will take less time to soften.
- For you non-math people, 3/4 lb. is 12 oz of beef chuck. Well-marbled refers to how much fat is throughout the chuck piece. Think about marble countertops and use the photo below for reference.
Cost of Dish
- 1 oz bacon + tomato sauce + salt and pepper: less than $1 (1 oz bacon from 1 package of bacon from Costco)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes: $0.68
- 3/4 lb. well-marbled beef chuck: $5.08
- $14.92 for the entire package, valued at $6.78/lb
- 1 parsnip: $1.70
- 2 bell peppers: $2.03 (1 green 78 cents and 1 red bell pepper 1.78)
Cost for Recipe: $10.41, ~$5.20/serving (Recipe should yield 2 servings) Will yield me 3 servings.
Nutrition Facts, Quoted by the Keto Cookbook
- Calories: 373 per serving
- Fat: 16.8 g per serving
- Net Carbs: 5.4 g per serving
- Protein: 41 g per serving
- Fiber; 4 g per serving
Have I convinced you to purchase this book? Click on the Amazon link below.